Weight Loss Treatment in Ayurveda
Reduce weight naturally with our weight loss program
The ‘Ayurvedic Weight Loss Program’ at Sanjeevanam Ayurveda centers in Kerala and Chennai, is a completely holistic and natural way to get rid of the excess fat deposits and the related health issues. The program ranges from 7 days to 28 days. By incorporating Ayurveda, yoga, functional fitness exercises and a tailor made weight loss diet, we make sure that a guest gets the best result possible.
What Is Obesity ?
A body mass index above 25 is categorised as overweight and those above 35 is obese. Being overweight is the precursor to obesity. The discrepancy between the calories consumed and calories expended is the cause.
Sthoulya in Ayurveda is considered as a pathology where in, the metabolism gets altered and medus gets deposited mainly over the areas including peri-umbellicus, breasts, buttocks, thighs and causes diminution of life span, lack of interest in physical activity, difficulty for coitus, debility, unpleasant body odour, excess sweating, excess hunger and thirst.
What are the Ayurveda treatments for weight loss ?
1.Shamana (Palliative) treatment
- Langhana (Fasting)
- Ama pachana (Oral use of Medicines which have digestive properties)
- Udwarthana (Dry medicated powder massage)
- Physical exercises and mental strategies.
2.Panchakarma – Samshodhana Chikitsa (Purificatory procedures):
- Vamana (Therapeutic emesis)
- Virechana (Therapeutic purgation)
- Lekhana Vasthi (Medicated enema having scraping effect)
What is Sanjeevanam’s approach to weight loss ?
At Sanjeevanam ayurveda centers in Kerala and Chennai we focus on the root causes of Sthoulya and aims at primordial prevention of overweight to obesity. Apatarpana is adopted as the mode of treatment which comprises correction of cellular level metabolism through planned diet, freshly prepared oral medicines, customized external Ayurveda treatments for weight loss, therapeutic exercises , Yoga postures for physique , Pranayama and meditation for mind.
This helps to eliminate the accumulated fat and toxic substances, thereby correcting the entire digestive functions and metabolism. It also provide a proper education and awareness based on Ayurvedic principles to discourage a harmful lifestyle.
What is the expected outcome from the Ayurvedic weight loss treatments ?
Removal of extra fat from the body and assisting overweight individuals to revert back to healthy BMI limits thereby preventing complications of obesity.
Yoga for weight loss
Yoga is beneficial in maintaining good health by regulating BMI, improving biochemical functions of the body and helpful to overcome the complications of obesity and reduces metabolic risk factors.
Most people practice yoga to improve flexibility and balance, relieve stress and reduce aches and pains. But yoga can also help to lose weight and it provides positive influence on the mental aspects associated with successful weight loss and weight maintenance.
Yoga can increase body awareness; counter negative and self-judging thoughts related to eating habits and foster a sense of self control . A combination of physical exertion from asanas and mental benefits derived from relaxation, pranayama and mindful meditation leads to a productive weight loss strategy.
Physical poses which are associated with weight loss involves twists that encourages digestion, standing poses that strengthen larger muscle groups and forward bends that stimulate abdominal organs and thyroid glands.
What are the yoga postures for weight loss ?
1. Surya Namaskara
Surya namaskara , a series of 12 asanas that can elevate the heart and breathing rate.Performing the surya namaskara poses for 30 minutes produces a cardiorespiratory training effect and an energy expenditure of 230 Kcal.
2. Chathuranga Dandasana
Chaturanga Dandasana (Four-Limbed Staff Pose), also known as Low Plank, is one of the most effective yoga asanas for losing weight and toning the abdomen. This yoga pose helps build strength in the arms, wrists, lower and upper back, as well as the abdominal muscles. It helps develop your core stability and increase your stamina, among many other benefits.
3. Virabhadrasana III
The pose falls in the category of forward bend postures, it therefore works on the abdominal region aiding in losing belly fat. The Virabhadrasana III works on hamstring, hip, shoulders and upper spine. In addition to this, it strengthens the legs as well.
Sarvangasana comes with multiple benefits, from increasing strength to improving digestion. But it is known for boosting metabolism and balancing thyroid levels. Sarvangasana or the shoulder stand strengthens the upper body, abdominal muscles and legs, improves the respiratory system and improves sleep.
Navasana strenthens the muscles of the abdomen , arms , thighs and shoulders.The stretching, compressing and relaxation of the abdominal region involved with Navasana is a really good and effective way of burning belly fat if practiced on a regular basis.
Vashisthasana is a high intensity pose that puts a lot of stress on the abdominal muscles , thighs , arms and shoulders. If performed correctly , the pose can be very effective in supporting weight loss.
The standing crescent lunge , this stretches the hip flexors and releases tension in the rear of the hips. It gets your heart rate up, which helps speed up your metabolism, and is also a great stretch for the legs.
8. Sethu Bandha Sarvangasana
It is excellent for gluteal muscles, thyroid as well as weight loss. It improves muscle tone, digestion, regulates the hormones and improves the thyroid levels. It also strengthens the back muscles and reduces back pain.
The trikonasana helps to improve digestion as well as reduce the fat deposited in the belly and waist. It stimulates and improves blood circulation in the entire body. The lateral motion of this asana helps burn more fat from the waist and build more muscles in the thighs and hamstrings.
10. Parivritta utkatasana
The Parivrtta Utkatasana is also called the Yoga’s version of the squat. But it is little more intense and tones the abdominal muscles and works the quads and glutes. The asana also improves the lymph system and the digestive system.
Dhanurasana helps massage the abdominal organs, improves digestion, and strengthens the thighs, chest and back. It stretches the whole body, strengthens and tones the muscles with improved blood circulation.
12. Ardha matsyendrasanaIt stretches the spine and tones the thighs and abdominal muscles. It stimulates the digestive system helping you digest food more efficiently and lose weight.
- Take low-fat and low-calorie food items
- Take more proteins to stay longer without food
- Steamed / boiled and baked vegetables rather than fried
- Take frequent small meals to avoid food cravings
- Intake of healthy diet comprising of sufficient fibre
- Drink skimmed milk instead of whole milk
- Take healthy foods such as – oatmeal, walnuts, salads, bitter gourd (Karela), drumstick (Shigru), barley (Yava ), wheat, green gram (Moong dal), honey (Madhu), indian gooseberry (Amla), pomegranate (Anar) and snake gourd and skimmed buttermilk
- Include cabbage in daily meal. It will stop the conversion of sugars to fat
- Use warm water for drinking
- Include lemon in diet and drinks
- Follow active life style and practice yoga and meditation to manage stress and fatigue
- According to the individual capacity, do mild to moderate exercises
- Take high starch and carbohydrate vegetables like – potato, rice, wheat etc.
- Take sweet products, dairy by-products, fried and oily foods, fast foods
- Salty foods or excessive salt in meals
- Avoid sedentary habits
- Avoid excessive sleep
- Avoid watching TV while having food
- Avoid alcohol and smoking